Place: Airfield of the Air Club of the Czech Republic at SazenÃ¡ (central Bohemia, distr. Kladno; 30 kilometers north of Prague
Term: 24th - 28th June 2013 (three-day course including a field- trip)
Participants: Students of archaeology and scholars interested in archaeological remote sensing for past settlement and landscape study
Organizer: Department of Archaeology, University of West Bohemia, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Head of the organisation team: Prof. Martin Gojda; manager and contact person: Dr. Lucie Čulíková
Objectives of the workshop:
- Teaching about theoretical basement and principals of archaeological remote sensing (ARS) and enabling the participants to acquire basic knowledge in the practice of archaeological air survey carried out from low altitude and focused on the identification and documentation of archaeological buried sites and features displayed via cropmarks.
- Practical training in the processing and mapping of aerial photographs (APs) and LiDAR data.
The course is divided into the following parts:
Air- and field school
- Theoretical basis of ARS, practical air survey performed in Cessna 172 (owned by the Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Archaeology), downloading and primary processing of photographs and GPS data.
- Verification and mapping of cropmarked features on the ground through GPS and Total station.
- Advanced processing of APs (rectification of oblique APs, their archaeological interpretation and mapping of recorded sites and features by means of GIS).
- Working with data from airborne laser scanning (LiDAR).
Accommodation and meals (breakfast + lunch) will be provided at the airfield. The course fee (which includes aircraft rental cost, teaching facilities, accommodation, meals) is 180
ArcLand will provide a small number of grants to participate this workshop. Please use the grant rules and grant application form on the projects grant web page.
Differing from the usual 3months-in-advance rule the deadline for grant applications is 29th April, 14:00 h (Pilsen time), applicants will be notified about the result of the reviews by 6th May.